The overall goal of ClimeFish is to help ensure that the increase in seafood production comes in areas and for species where there is a potential for sustainable growth, given the expected developments in climate, thus contributing to robust employment and sustainable development of rural and coastal communities.
To reach this goal, ClimeFish has eight specific objectives:
1. To investigate the effects of climate change on fisheries and aquaculture at European and regional scale, and to collect and harmonize relevant data which will be made available in the H2020 Open Research Data Pilot.
2. To develop novel forecasting models to simulate and analyse changes in distribution and production in the fisheries and aquaculture sectors.
3. To identify risks and opportunities based on analysis of market and non-market costs and benefits of affected ecosystem services; propose potential mitigation strategies.
4. To develop early warning methodologies for these risks, including a traffic-light system.
5. In co-creation with stakeholders, develop case-specific Management Plans that mitigate risks and utilize opportunities associated with anticipated effects of climate change on aquatic production, based on ecosystem and results-based management approaches.
6. In co-creation with stakeholders, develop guidelines, good practice recommendations and a voluntary European standard outlining how to develop this type of Management Plans in the future.
7. In co-creation with stakeholders, develop the ClimeFish Decision Support Framework. This contains the ClimeFish Decision Support System and other decision support resources, such as models, datasets, sample runs and guidelines.
8. To provide training and dissemination for industry, policy makers, scientists and other stakeholders; to ensure active utilization of the developed tools and guidelines beyond the project lifetime in close collaboration with the European Climate Adaptation Platform (Climate- ADAPT).
ClimeFish will analyze three main production sectors: marine aquaculture, marine fisheries, and lake and pond production, and ClimeFish forecasting is to be based on 3 specific climate scenarios. You can read more about the production sectors here and the scenarios here.